Thuburbo Majus

Thuburbo Majus was settled since the time of the Berbers and Carthaginians, and under the Romans it became an important market town.

Abandoned after the Arab invasion in the 7th century, it was rediscovered in 1875 and though much smaller than Dougga, it was important enough to have:

  • The Forum and The Capitol: the former was colonnaded on the 3 sides not facing the Capitol. The latter was dedicated to the cult of Jupiter, Juno and Minerva.

  • The Temple of Mercury (118 CE): one of few monumental building that reflects the lasting impact of punic culture. Eight columns forming a circle, some of these still stand.

  • Baths: consist of two sections: the Winter baths, made of 20 rooms and the Summer baths, beilng larger yet less impressive.